Sunday 11 January 2009

Poole Harbour on Ice


I know I've already blogged this picture today over at Veg Plotting, but it's my favourite image from yesterday and I feel a larger version also needs to be put in my Box here for later.

Ice on the beach is such a rarity, so I'm glad I was there to see it.

I love this whole area plus the county of Dorset - it always feels like I'm coming home. It holds so many happy memories from my favourite holiday in Weymouth at the age of seven, through various school field trips (geography and geology) based in Swanage, windsurfing holidays and other regular trips to see NAH's aunt in Poole. When we moved down south, we were aiming for Dorset, but fell short by about 35 miles ending up in Wiltshire instead.

At some point I'll put up other Dorset delights in here ready for a rainy day.

2 comments:

petoskystone said...

the ice is cool! went to the newspaper link & i might say that the swan did not look pleased! don't really have happy childhood travel memories. my dad was air force--all of out moving meant different assignments for him, we just shuttled between nebraska & michigan mostly. & a painfully shy mom did not make for explorations.

VP said...

Glad you took the link - it was pretty amazing stuff! I suspect a lot of forces children must feel like you do. I'm not sure if I could have taken to moving around a lot - I found a change in teachers from 1 year to the next bad enough.