Sunday 2 November 2008

Ghost Trains

Your Messages - Theme for Day 2

The railway station is haunted by the mother of a baby snatched from there in 1955. As the train pulls in, listen hard. In the sound of the brakes, crying.

My response:

Disembodied voices, urgent whistles, slamming doors. Reunited families, hurried travellers, separated lovers. Steamy smoke, sweaty bodies, smelly cafe. Nothing escaped her frantic search: all evaded her. Everything fades. Nothing remains.

I'm not going to explain all of my responses, but I want to jot down my thought process for today, otherwise I'll forget how I came to write this. I firstly came up with Sound, Sights, Smells. These are the first 3 sentences - evoking what the young woman looking for her baby would be experiencing and trying to have a similar pace to a travelling train. I struggled with the next sentence - showing her looking everywhere, but fruitlessly. Halfway through that struggle, the last 2 sentences came out of thin air, demanding to be written down. So I did.

No comments: