Monday 30 June 2003

Special Olympics Volunteer Diary - Day 12

Guess who's waving at the closing ceremony?

I have an early start with Lisa and Stuart back to the airport as we have a lift from Ann Tynan (Lisa's and my second host), who is due on airport volunteer duty at 8 a.m.

The rain, which held off during most of the games, is now pouring down and fits my mood perfectly. A number of teams are also departing at the same time as us and I meet up again with with some of the Pakistan basketball team. Each team is announced as they walk through to departures and the whole of the check-in area stops to applaud and cheer them.

There is a hold-up at our check-in desk and an airport employee beckons us to follow him*. We end up in the Special Olympics designated area and a desk is opened especially for us to check-in. This is just one example** of the support, helpfulness and encouragement we've all experienced as volunteers from the people in Dublin in general, and our host families from the Bank in particular, during the Special Olympics. There's been a real pride and buzz to the place whilst we've been there.

It's been a real privelege to have played a small part in such a life changing event and to have spent time focusing on the positive side of what can be achieved by anyone who has the heart and courage to try. Anyone for 2007 in Shanghai?

* = We'd decided to wear our uniforms home as we were popping into work afterwards. I suppose that gave him a big clue...

** = I can't believe I didn't mention in my diary not being able to walk down Grafton Street without people coming up to shake me by the hand, tell me what a good job I was doing and asking if Ireland had won any more gold medals. Also on Thursday I went out with all the Loughlinstown volunteers for a farewell drink. Whilst waiting for the last bus to take me back to Stillorgan, a man in a very nice BMW stopped to ask us (as I was with a friend) where we were going. Although our destination was in totally the opposite direction to where he was going, he insisted on giving us both a lift home

Click here for the start of this diary.

No comments: